Nominated for: BEST Gift Shop
When David C. Long sold his Akron farm in 1906, his son Leo started The Akron Hardwood Floor Company with his help. They soon switched to the tile and fireplace business, and in 1916 incorporated as The Akron Tile & Fireplace Company. In 1938 Leo's son, Robert, joined him in business and would later become the company's second president. In 1968 Robert saw the advantages of moving to the Merriman Valley from the company's downtown location. Now, almost a century later, the company carries merchandise remarkably similar to that stocked by Leo Long. Wood Burning stoves, Barbeques, and a Gift Shop have been added, but fireplaces remain top priority at The Akron Tile & Fireplace Company.